Do I have 10 days to answer an amendment to complaint even though I never received the first complaint or summons?

Huntington Beach, CA |
Filed under: Summons and complaint

I am 1 of 5 defendants a tentative Judge ruling on 03/01/13 is: All other defs including me are severed & dismissed w/o prej for FTP. After this,On 03/19/13 I got an amendment to complaint where I am named as defendant, but I never got any complaint before, since I am doing this Pro Se. Do I have to answer? if yes, where do I have to send my response? to the Court and the other Party?

If you were never served with the complaint or the Amended Complaint you are not obligated to respond. If you were served with the Amended Complaint then you must respond even if you were never served with the original complaint.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Your facts are not entirely clear but it appears you may have been served the amended complaint simply because you remain on the service list. Contact opposing counsel and tell of your confusion. It appears you may have been dismissed from the case so you should not be receiving anymore case documents. If so, ask to be removed from their service list.

If not (because the ruling was only tentative and perhaps the actual ruling was different) tell the attorney you do not consider yourself properly served with the summons and complaint because service by mail is inappropriate for a non-appearing party. You can then either respond to the first amended complaint or wait to be formerly served with process.

BTW, I urge you to seek counsel immediately if you have not actually been dismissed from the lawsuit and if a response is required. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference