Do i have a case on slander or defamation of character or any kind of case at all...

Asked over 1 year ago - Nevada, MO

i was evicted for not paying my rent, OK i understand. The landlord then posted flyers on all the other tenant's doors saying if they helped me out in any way they too could and would be evicted. These flyers also stated my personal business stating how much I owed. I just recently gained employment and now he is garnishing 25% of my weekly check..

1. Jeffrey Ira Schwimmer

4

Answered . You have no claim. Defamation requires the disemination of a factually false statement about you to a third party, which causes you economic damages. Truth is a defense to a claim of defamation, no matter how unhappy you are about what is being said of you. Telling other tenants not to let you stay with them, as a threat, would affect the other tenants' rights if anyone's , not yours, and therefore you have no legal basis to sue the LL for doing that. Get the judgment paid off as soon as possible and put this chapter of your life behind you.

2. George Costas Andriotis

4

Answered . You do not have a claim for defamation as the information divulged about you was true.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.

Pro

4

Answered . Not defamation, but you may have a different claim, so contact a local attorney to discuss in detail.

4. Eugene P. Castagliuolo

3

Answered . You need to hire a consumer lawyer yesterday because you most probably have had your consumer rights violated, possibly under both state AND Federal law. I handle these cases throughout Florida, but you need somebody in MO. Try looking at NACA.net for attorneys in MO who are specially qualified to handle such cases with no out-of-pocket cost to you. Good luck!

5. Ronald Jay Eisenberg

1

Answered . If you are head of household then under Missouri law the landlord may only be entitled to 10% as opposed to 25% of your post-tax wages. Hire an attorney if you need help.

Your facts sound weak regarding filing a lawsuit. In addition, if you couldn't afford to pay rent, how can you afford to hire an attorney? You might be better served spending your money on a negotiated and discounted settlement of the judgment against you.