Do i go to jail due to civil lawsuit of my own lawyer? will this civil matter affect my immigration status?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Last 2008 I hired an immigration lawyer from CA (i live in Las Vegas) for my deportation defense and asked for $12,000. Went through all the proceedings and the case ended up denied and immig court ordered me to depart in sept 2012 ( I didnt comply) which also leaves me a balance on my lawyer's fee of $5,228. I went out of state in Sept til feb due to fear of getting searched in my apartment and gets deported. Last Dec 2012 a letter was sent from a law office regarding a threat of civil lawsuit, i didnt know about it til today (April 25, 2013) due to my roommate misplaced it and just saw it now. Do i go to jail over this civil matter and what charge will i have in my record? with this latest immigration reform coming, will this affect me if ever the bill gets passed? thanks for your help

CLARIFICATION: THE CIVIL LAWSUIT SENT TO ME BY ANOTHER LAW OFFICE WAS ABOUT/FROM MY IMMIGRATION LAWYER SUING ME FOR THE REMAINING BALANCE.

after the final judgement and receving departure date from the court, I went to check one final lawyer to see if theres a slight chance, according to the lawyer, the fee was too much and althought my original immigration lawyer knew that my case is already hopeless ( we filed for VAWA due US Citizen wife abandoned me) he still decided to take my case. but if in case i decided to leave the country/self deport how in the world will he be able to sue me and run after me for the remaining balance?

also AGAIN i fully understand that the immigration reform is still a bill but if ever it passed and becomes a law, will this affect if ever i decide to apply and disqualify me due to this matter? I knew i have to prove that im a person of good moral and should be a public charge. thank you for your inputs and help.

1. Marcia Irene Dore

2

1

Answered . You have a lot of issues going on and need to talk to attorney. But you do not go to jail over civil litigation. This is not a criminal case.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

1

Answered . Civil lawsuits only result in jail if a judge holds you in contempt of court. You do not have any immigration status as you have been ordered deported.

3. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

1

Answered . You will not go to jail over the civil suit. You might be placed in federal custody for your failure to leave the country.