Do I file a NOTICE of Intent to Relocate, or a Petition to Relocate (w/ financial affidavit etc) or both Notice and Petition??

Asked about 1 year ago - Boca Raton, FL

The Law is confusing. Do I file a NOTICE of Intent to Relocate and Certificate of Service or a Petition to Relocate (w/ financial affidavit, child support guidelines, notice of social security number and UCCJEA etc) or both Notice and Petition(with other docs and Certificate of Service?? Divorce is over.

1. Sandra Kia Ambrose

2

Best Answer

Answered . Along with what my colleagues stated, I want to add, in the case of relocation, make sure that you are reading the most recent statute on relocation (2012). An earlier version required the filing of a Notice of Relocation, so I fear you are reading an older version. Currently, if following the statute, if the other parent does not agree to your relocation, you must file and serve a petition for relocation with its very specific requirements and all of the commensurate other forms which you noted.
    Relocation is such a difficult area of family law. Every case is different and in my experience, even a similar set of facts can have a very different result depending on many other factors. If this relocation is very important to you, you really would be best served by seeking an experienced lawyer who has a good grasp on relocations in your area.
    Best of everything.
    Sandra K. Ambrose

2. Erskine Clark Rogers III

4

Answered . You are correct, law in this area is complex, and an explanation of all the required steps is beyond the scope of this Q & A cite. I assume there is no agreement regarding the relocation.

The best I can do is direct you to Florida Stat. 61.13001, which Is the statute on relocation.

3. William Charles Rosenfelt

2

Answered . When you pose questions like this, it is extremely important that you give us the context of what is going on and what has gone on thus far in your legal matter. We need to know what the Final Judgment states as well as more information, in general. Counsel has correctly pointed you to the correct statute which I trust that you have read?! Always read the complete statute, if you have not already. Frequently, the answer to your question is contained right there. Especially when you are talking about relocation, which is specifically addressed by Florida Statutes. Good luck!

4. Natalie F Guerra-Valdes

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You will need to file a Petition to Relocate, along with all of the other required documents that you mentioned. You may want to retain an attorney to help you with the relocation, as it is not an easy area of the law. Best of luck!

5. Kenneth Manuel Damas

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. There are a few hurdles that you have to overcome. If i were you I would retain an attorney.