Do I file a criminal or civil complaint if someone destroys/damages my property if I let them live there?

If I rent out a property to someone behind my home and that person destroys or damages the property/fixtures etc. can I file a civi action and is there a form online I need to use?

Los Angeles, CA -

Ross Carl Goodman

Ross Carl Goodman

DUI / DWI Attorney - Las Vegas, NV

I think you could also file a criminal/incident report given the property damage. It would be up to law enforcement to forward it to the prosecutor's office for prosecution. If a criminal charge is filed, part of any negotitation would be restitution for the damaged property

Robert Jan Suhajda

Robert Jan Suhajda

Tax Lawyer - Cerritos, CA

You cannot file a criminal charge only a civil claim.
There are four ways to file court papers at the correct courthouse:
• In person
• By mail
• Online
• By fax
File form SC-100
To file online, do the following:
1. Log on to Los Angeles County’s Superior Court website at https://ww2.lasuperiorcourt.org/eFiling/Login.aspx and have your credit card ready. There is an additional $10 fee to e-file your case.

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Litigation Lawyer - Montclair, CA

Assuming you did file a complaint with the police, they will more than likely tell you that it is a civil matter. No harm in trying.
If you will be satisfied with $10,000 or less, you can file in small claims court.
If the damages are higher, you need to go to superior court.