Do I file a criminal or civil complaint if someone destroys/damages my property if I let them live there?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

If I rent out a property to someone behind my home and that person destroys or damages the property/fixtures etc. can I file a civi action and is there a form online I need to use?

1. Ross Carl Goodman

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . I think you could also file a criminal/incident report given the property damage. It would be up to law enforcement to forward it to the prosecutor's office for prosecution. If a criminal charge is filed, part of any negotitation would be restitution for the damaged property

2. Robert Jan Suhajda

2

Answered . You cannot file a criminal charge only a civil claim.
    There are four ways to file court papers at the correct courthouse:
    • In person
    • By mail
    • Online
    • By fax
    File form SC-100
    To file online, do the following:
    1. Log on to Los Angeles County’s Superior Court website at https://ww2.lasuperiorcourt.org/eFiling/Login.aspx and have your credit card ready. There is an additional $10 fee to e-file your case.

3. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

Answered . Assuming you did file a complaint with the police, they will more than likely tell you that it is a civil matter. No harm in trying.
    If you will be satisfied with $10,000 or less, you can file in small claims court.
    If the damages are higher, you need to go to superior court.