Do I Commit Insurance Fraud In My Case?

Asked 7 months ago - Staten Island, NY

I filled out and signed a life insurance application and the ins company is processing my application now. I answered “No” on "Hepatitis and Liver Disease", but I wrote that I am a "HEPATITIS B VIRUS CARRIER" they asked my "Recent Health History " ‘cause I feel "carrier" is sound better then "disease". Recently, I understand that Hepatitis B is also a chronic disease even no symptom ‘cause I visited a state health department mentioning about Hepatitis B Virus Carriers. I would like to know that do I commit an insurance fraud because I answered “No” on “Hepatitis and Liver Disease”, but I wrote that I am a "HEPATITIS B VIRUS CARRIER". What can I do if I really made the mistake and false statement? I would very appreciate if some New York criminal and insurance lawyers can enlighten me.

1. Jeffrey Bruce Gold

Pro

8

1

Best Answer

Answered . I've been practicing insurance law, including life insurance law for 25 years in NY. Your answer "No" is a misrepresentation. If you were to die within two years of the policy being issued, the carrier might be able to avoid payment because of that misrepresentation, however, the fact that you disclosed that you were a "hepatitis B. virus carrier" in all probability negates the misrepresentation, and I think it would be really hard for for a carrier to avoid liability because of that. You are not going to be prosecuted criminally for this mis-statement. Worst case is you die within two years, and the carrier refunds your premium rather than paying the benefit.

2. Christopher Michael Gioe

7

1

Answered . Technically, you may have filed a false instrument, specifically if you signed and swore to the truth of the statements. I would call the insurance company and ask if its possible to change an answer on your application.

3. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

1

Answered . If you have hepatitis and you answered NO that was a false answer and the carrier can file criminal charges against you. Most likely the carrier will just deny you coverage given you put them on notice that you are a hepatitis carrier.

Pro

4

1

Answered . The life insurance will be denied due to a material misrepresentation

5. Matthew Christian Barber

4

1

Answered . You gave notice to the insurer of hepatitis. You can always clarify now but I am certain the insurer will investigate while processing the application and ask for more info anyways.