Do I automatically become a citizen when my mom became a US citizen?

Hi, I came here in the U.S. when I was 13 years old through a petition of my mother who became a citizen in 2010. Thank you.

Attorneys here on avvo.com can only provide some general information. You need to schedule a consultation to get information about your specific situation.

DISCLAIMER: The information appearing here is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to provide legal advice to any individual or entity. We urge you to contact us at (818) 639-2692 or info@i-551.com or consult with your own legal advisor before taking any action based on information appearing here.

That's right. If your mom became a US citizen prior to you having reached age 18, no matter how old you now are, you are deemed to be a US citizen. Go to the passport office and apply for a US passport on Monday. bring along mother's certificate of naturalization, as well as your birth certificate substantiating the parent -child relationship. It will also be worth to pay the fee and file a USCIS Form N-600 for a Certificate of Citizenship.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

If its an automatic citizenship, do I still have to go through the process or just apply for a U.S.passport.

If your mom became a citizen when you were a minor and in her custody here, you would have also become a citizen.

Gunda J. Brost Brost Law Office This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.