Do I (the mistress) of a married man in CA have the rights to any financial support by a live in boyfriend for one year?

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

We lived together for 1 year after he flew me in from out of state where I resided w/ my father after the death of my husband. He paid for everything (rent, food, clothing, my luxury vehicle, traveling expenses & many gifts). He gave me a VERY comfortable life style but his wife found out about us he left me with no way to support myself or any kind of family or friends to help me. I'm now being evicted, have no food or money for nessecities. What rights do I have?

1. Michael Charles Doland

1

1

Answered . Unless you have a written contract (or a very difficult to prove oral contract) there are no rights to support under the facts you describe.

2. Patricia Christine Van Haren

Answered . You have no rights to support from a boyfriend that you were residing with. Support only attaches where there is a valid marriage. Further, depending on the value of the "gifts" that were given to you without the consent of his wife, she may be entitled to recover her 1/2 community interest in those gifts from you should she discover them.

3. James S. Lawrence

Pro

1

Answered . Marriage gives a party certain rights upon a divorce. An informal romantic relationship gives the parties almost no rights in the event of a breakup. I presume there is no written contract to pay you anything. A claim of a verbal agreement to support you after a breakup might be believed, but I do not know of any case where it was. Moreover, many states as a matter of law severely limit the ability of anyone to recover anything based on a verbal contract. In some states the limitations on claims based on alleged verbal contracts are known under the label of "Statute of Frauds."

If the two of you produced a child, you should be able to get child support. Otherwise, you might have to try getting a job, like everyone else. Or, if you own the vehicle, you might sell it, buy a cheaper vehicle, and pocket the difference. Or, you might try to find another rich boyfriend. Good luck.