Skip to main content

Do I have to be in f1 status while waiting for my adjustment of status? I am underage still.

Arlington, VA |

My Mother will file my gc soon as soon as she gets her greencard which she obtained through my sister who is a citizen

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There is not enough information in your question to be able to answer your question. If your mother becomes a permanent resident, and if you are unmarried, then your mother can begin the process for you to apply later on for permanent resident status. But many more questions must be addressed. I suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney near you.

(734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.


You need to be in lawful, nonimmigrant status to file for adjustment ,until and unless your mother becomes a US citizen. If you then are an "immediate relative" you need not be in lawful nonimmigrant status to adjust.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.


More information is needed. I would speak to an attorney.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer