Do I, as the victim, have the right to plead the Fifth Amendment in a case of "strangulation & abduction in Virginia courts?

Yes , I filed the report but no longer want to testify against the defendant . The state took over this case as The Common Wealth vs Defendant . I was told I could offer a plea bargain of having the assault case waived and Defendant plead guilty of abduction . What are the reprecussions of pleading the Fifth Amendment ?

Hampton, VA -

Keith G Langer

Keith G Langer

Debt Collection Attorney - Wrentham, MA

The right to invoke the Fifth Amendment is dependent upon the testimony incriminating the person testifying. Unless you lied in your report, there does not seem to be a basis for your invoking the privilege.

The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
Judy A. Goldstein

Judy A. Goldstein

Domestic Violence Lawyer - Mokena, IL

Based upon the few facts presented, as the alleged victim, you have no right to plead the 5th Amendment.