Do Grandparents or great-grandparents have rights in NC? and if so what are they?

Franklin, NC |

taking dad to court for abandonment, jjust wondering what the grandparents could do.

1. Where is Mom? If you can prove that the parents are acting contrary to their parental rights grandparents can obtain custody of the children. Thus stepping into the parental role. I would not suggest doing this alone.

This information is for general purposes only. No Attorney-Client privilege has been created nor does it exist between me or my firm and the person asking the question or any parties reading this question and answer. Facts and circumstances vary from case to case. Seek legal advice for your particular facts and circumstances.

2. Absolutely. Anyone can file for custody . . . even the stranger down the street. The issue is going to turn on your participation in the child's life and the best interest of the child. Hire an experienced family law attorney if you really want to pursue your claim.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit www.silvaandsweet.com.