Do grandchildren get their deceased dads inheritance when the grandmother dies or does the other sibling get it all?

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Motherinlaw died in 2010. my husband died in 2009. Sisterinlaw did not willingly share will and took all valuables out of the house and cashed in insurance policies for herself. Will said that estate and all is left to my husband and his sister. My husband had two adult kids. Not wanting to upset their Aunt, but she has not given my husbands kids a penny. Don't they count? The will did not say if one dies the other gets it all.

1. Kelvin P. Green

3

Answered . Yes they should get their deceased fathers' share.. The will should have been through probate unless the estate was worth less than $150,000. I would suggest the two adult kids hire an attorney and work towards an accounting...

2. Christine James

Pro

3

Answered . I recommend you have the will reviewed, and this can generally be done with no cost to your children. That said, if the will does not say what happens if a child predeceases, the issue of the predeceased child (your husband's children) would take your husband's share. It sounds like the will was never probated and it is unclear how the aunt was able to get everything and not share. My primary question however would be, is there anything left? I understand and appreciate no one wanting to upset the aunt but they should have come forward sooner.

3. Gregory Paul Benton

2

Answered . Before anyone gets anything, someone needs to file a petition to probate the Will. That is the first step in this process.

4. James P. Frederick

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. I would simply add that it is possible that most, if not all of the assets, passed outside of probate and outside of the control of the Will. Jointly owned property or assets with beneficiaries designated are not controlled by the Will. Since you say that the insurance paid out to your SIL, that strongly suggests that she was named as the beneficiary. The insurance company would not have paid out, otherwise. You can check to see if a probate estate was filed. If not, then my guess is there was nothing left to probate. You have already waited 3 years on this. I echo my colleagues concerns that there may not be anything left, now.

James Frederick