Do godparents have any rights under florida law regarding custody?

Ocala, FL |

Grandparent adopted two of her sons daughters. The grandparent is becoming abusive to the one sick toddler. Birth parents signed over parental rights. The relatives they have have many children and can't take responsibility for two more. There are uncles in Michigan who said they would take them. However, my husband and I have been like grandparents to the children since they were born, they are over our house 3-4 times a wk. and love us like their own blood. We are also their godparents. is there any chance we could take custody temporarily or permanently?

1. Neither grandparents nor godparents have any legal rights over children in the state of Florida. However, if you feel that these children are being mistreated you should contact the Department of Children and Families (DCF) so they can conduct an investigation and see about placing these children in a safe environment.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. Longwell Lawyers

2. No. Godparents have no custody rights under Florida Statutes. Grandparents rights have been eroded away by case law. Talk with the grandparents, maybe something can be arranged with them for you to take care of the children on a regular basis, to take the weight of of their shoulders.

3. I agree with Attorney Gutin

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. Longwell Lawyers Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys Orlando Family Law Attorneys

Child custody topics