Do F1 student has to file tax return?

Asked about 2 years ago - Edmonds, WA

I got work permit under OPT.
I made about 450$ after tax weekly.
Each check, the tax cuts me about 200$ because I claim zero.
My question is when do tax return, wi I get some Money back?

1. Christopher Michael Larson

3

Answered . Anybody that earns more than roughly $9000 in one year is required to file a tax return. You should get some refund with your withholding that high.

Christopher Larson
    Insight Law
    Tax Attorney
    Seattle Tax Lawyer
    Estate Planning Lawyer
    Tax Attorney - Bellevue
    Tax Attorney - Everett
    Tax Attorney - Kent WA
    Tax Attorney - Issaquah
    Bellevue IRS Location
    IRS Tax Problem Help Seattle
    Unfiled Tax Returns
    Bankruptcy Attorney
    Estate Planning Attorney

2. Ronald J Cappuccio

Pro

4

Answered . You will receive a Federal Tax Refund unless you have other income during the year. Something seems wrong with your withholding. I suggest you talk to your company's payroll or HR department.

I hope this helps!

3. Evan A Nielsen

3

Answered . If you earn income, you need to file a tax return. And if you've paid excess taxes, you'll get a refund after you've filed the return. Personal returns (like the one you should file) are due by April 15th of the year following the tax year so in this case you'll file your 2012 tax return by April 15th of 2013. As has already been pointed out, you should check with your employer on the amount that's being withheld because it seems disproportionately large.

Hope that helps.

Evan A. Nielsen
    1255 W. Colton Ave., #506 | Redlands, CA 92374
    Main: 909.363.4658 | Fax: 480.304.3211
    Evan.Nielsen@NLGLaw.com
    www.NielsenLawGroup.net

Mention this Post for a free consultation.

4. Qingqing Miao

1

Answered . If you work in the U.S. and make more than 9K or so annually, you will need to file income tax return. Please note that the withholding is not the actual $$ you have to pay to the government. After you file your tax return, you are likely to get a refund if your employer has withheld too much. Also, you may want to check with the payroll department to confirm that they have done the withholding correctly. Also, as an F-1 student (non-resident alient for tax purposes), you are not supposed to pay certain payroll taxes and thus your employer should not withhold that portion.

The above answer is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice.