Do Expired Orders for Protection Show up in Background Checks for Employment?

Seattle, WA |

I had a frivolous order for protection filed against me in 2009. I fought it vigorously, but after many continuances the judgement was issued against me for six months. It expired in July of 2010. Now in 2011 I am about to switch jobs and have to go through a basic background check. I am college-educated and have no criminal background or history and don't want this ridiculous order for protection to haunt me in the future.

How long do these orders show up in your background? Do they show up if they are expired and past the term date?

Will they show up in basic background checks at all?

I'm not going to be working for the police or the government, strictly corporate.

You can check your own court cases through the Washington Courts website:

http://dw.courts.wa.gov/

Judges are not supposed to issue "rubber stamped" protection orders.

[In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

I am in Illinois and had the same thing happen to me. It was a total lie and everything he said happened, did not. The judge gave him a temporary order of protection and notice to vacate the premises (because he let me stay in his vacant home with my children while I looked for a job) and he was living elsewhere. When I did not accept his advances, he began harassing me. I was in the middle of moving out when I had to call the police on him twice for stalking and threating phone calls/texts. So he goes up to the court house and lies to the judge and says that we were living there together when we were not. He said I threatened him with a knife when nothing happened. He was upset with me and was trying to get back at me. So the next day after he filed, I went to the court house and was about to go before the judge to file my order of protection when the judge told me he had already filed it against me. I was in shock when I was told I couldnt go home and had to appear in court a week later. The judge would not listen to me despite having two police reports a day before, and one a few days before that. So, I had to stay with relatives until my court date. I had my cousin go and remove my belongings/furniture. When I went to court the judge dropped the temporary order of protection because he did not show up. How does this affect me when I try to get a job? Does this go on my criminal record (which I do not have a criminal record) and does this show up on a background check for a job, ect? If so, how can I find out and how can I get it expunged?