Do Executor's of a will have to sign off on everything before the money can be dispursed according to the will?

Asked over 5 years ago - Endicott, NY

My sister and I are executors of my mother's will that states everything is to be divided equally except for the CD's.
She had my sister's name on her checking, savings and a security account along with her's. I am told by the bank the money in the security account was put in the security account after the will was drawn up and since my sister's name is on it with my mother's name, all the money in the account is my sister's since the will preceded the account. Since I am an executor to the will they tried to get me to sign off on the account that was notorized by the bank but left the account number off the paper. Can my sister get the money from the account without me signing off since I too am named as an executor on the will.

1. Rudolf J. Karvay

Answered . Since your sister's name is on the accounts jointly with you mother's, your sister may collect the money without your approval. Joint accounts do not pass through the probate estate and your status as an executor affords you little authority over the accounts. If you feel that these accounts were improperly created, you should seek out legal counsel.