Do easements require a member vote?

Asked about 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

Recently I discovered that our Board President and Property Manager granted an easement of some common area to a Bellsouth d/b/a AT&T. Homeowners were never made aware of this nor was this voted on. Generally speaking, do easements require a homeowner vote in Georgia?

1. Randall M. Lipshutz

1

1

Answered . The answer does depend on the associatin's documents, but most documents would allow the board of directors to grant a utility easement without membership vote. The rules can be slightly different for condominiums versus homeowner associations, but most likely the board had the authority. The only way to tell for sure is to have the association's documents reviewed.

This answer is for general purposes only, and it does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Charles I. Pollack

Answered . It depends on the authority of the Board President. HOA's are non-profit corporations, governred by the Articles of Incorporation, Bylaws, and Declaration of Covenants. You should consult those documents, as they may contain your answer.

Although I suppose it's possible, a third-party Property Manager, probably doesn't have that authority.