Do DWI lawyers always request a suppression hearing or is this just apart of the trial process?

Asked about 1 year ago - Kenmore, NY

My attorney requested a suppression hearing during proceedings. I already paid my lawyer before my arraignment for everything, but I was wondering if this is just standard for attorneys to do, or actually based on evidence or lack thereof.

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

12

Answered . Generally a criminal defense lawyer requests suppression hearings. Winning is rare but you get much of the paperwork before trial and get to question the police officer about the case so it is a great discovery tool.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

11

Answered . Lawyers request whatever hearing is applicable in a case. If you paid your lawyer for everything, then hearings are part if everything.

3. Michael J Palumbo

Pro

11

Answered . It depends on the nature of the retainer and whether it is part of the defense service that you contracted for when you retained counsel.

4. Jasen Bodie Nielsen

Pro

10

Answered . It depends on the case and the strategy for resolving it. If you've got an attorney, talk to them about any questions you have. Good luck.

Jasen Nielsen

5. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

6

Answered . Both.

Joseph A. Lo Piccolo, Esq.
    Past President, Criminal Courts Bar Association
    Hession Bekoff & Lo Piccolo
    1103 Stewart Ave, Suite 200
    Garden City, NY 11530
    516-408-3666 (o) / 516-408-3833 (f)
    Jlopiccolo@hbclaw.net