Do domestic incident reports appear on a record or background check?

Brooklyn, NY |

My husband and I recently got into a heated argument and because he pushed me, I ended up calling the police. They filled out a domestic incident report and labeled it a violation. They asked me if I wanted him out of the house for the night, and I responded yes. They escorted him out, and he went to stay with family. This was all in a moment of anger and confusion, and I hope that this will not appear on his record - especially since there was no arrest. Would this appear on his record? Would this appear on a background check, and ruin his chances of getting a job and completing the citizenship process?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Recommended articles about Family law