Do dismissed charges affect employment? Specifically is there any point of going to college for accounting if I can't get a job?

Parlin, NJ |

The charge was a misdemeanor: harassment. It will be dismissed through a differed disposition where I am on probation for a year.

1. It should not--dismissed charges aren't convictions, which is usually what employers ask for. It does depend on the employer and what databases they have access to.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

2. A dismissed juvenile PDP does not normally come up on a normal background check. It should not affect employment. If it does come up employment is up to the employer but I would not fret. Most job app. do not ask about juvenile charges. You need to look at the wording

3. I encourage everyone to pursue higher education if possible; without regard to any criminal past. The world will not hand you a good life, but you can make one for yourself through education and hard work. The best thing about having an education or knowing a trade, is you can always go into business for yourself. As to your question - I strongly encourage you to finish your accounting degree.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196, Adam@LefkowitzLawOffice.com, or www.LefkowitzLawOffice.com. If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on avvo.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

4. You should expunge it and then any future employer will not see it.