Do disabled children qualify for Social Security benefits?

Asked over 2 years ago - Mobile, AL

I have a boy who was born disabled. I was told by a friend of mine that I should be able to receive benefits from government. Do disabled children qualify for Social Security benefits?

.

1. Kelie Cummins Schneider

4

Answered . If your child meets certain disability standards, he could qualify to recieve disbility benefits. According to ssa.gov, this is the standard for disabiilty:

•The child must have a physical or mental condition(s) that very seriously limits his or her activities; and
    • The condition(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least 1 year or result in death.

You can get more information here: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/disability/disabi...

Further, if at least one parent is recieving disability, your son may be able to collect benefits based on that account. He must meet these requirements:

under age 18; or
    • 18-19 years old and a full-time student (no higher than grade 12); or
    • 18 or older and have a disability that started before age 22.

Good Luck!

2. Brian S Wayson

2

Answered . In addition to Attorney Schneider's excellent answer, I would just add the following:

To receive childhood SSI benefits, the child's family will have to meet the financial eligibility rules in addition to the child meeting the disability rules.

See: http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10026.html

3. Erin Michelle Schmidt

2

Answered . There is a set of childhood listings which, if the child meets, automatically qualifies them for SSI.
    If the child does not meet or equal the listings, then the child must have either marked limitations in 2 categories or an extreme limitation in 1 category. The categories Social Security uses are

Acquiring and using information
    Attending and completing tasks
    Interacting and relating with others
    Moving about and manipulating objects
    Caring for oneself
    Health and physical well being

Not all children with disabilities will meet these standards.

As was mentioned above, SSI has strict income and asset requirements the family must meet in order for the child to be eligible.