Do different types of injuries affect how long it will take to sort out a personal injury claim?

Houston, TX |

Five months ago, my mom was hit by someone turning the corner in their car without looking. My mom suffered fairly bad head trauma, but will ultimately be okay. The claim has still not been completed in what seems like a straightforward case. Is this because of the length of time required to recover from a head injury?

.

With any injury a good lawyer is concerned with the same thing that a good doctor is - that there be a full recovery. If the prognosis is good, but she is not there yet, caution is often better than speed - any setback in the recovery process can be addressed.

The most heart-breaking cases are the ones where the case settles before the true extent of injury is known.

It sounds as though your mother is represented. If she is concerned about the status of her claim she should contact her attorney.
There are numerous factors that must be considered in determining whether a claim can be settled. Attorney and clients have to obtain sufficient documentation to support one's claim. Medical records have to be ordered, investigations have to be conducted and the extent of one's injuries has to be known to a reasonable certainty. If your mother is represented her attorney will know the status of her claim. If not the adjuster may just be giving her the run around. Remember the adjuster is employed by the insurance company not you. If your mother does not have attorney she should contact one.

In addition to Avvo's terms of usage, this answer does not create an attorney client relationship. In providing the information the author is not rendering legal or other professional services. If legal advice is required the requesting individual should seek the service of a competent legal professional.

You don't state whether your mother is represented by an attorney - she certainly should be with the seriousness of her injuries. If she is, a case involving a brain trauma can and should take awhile. You never want to settle until you know how your client is doing and that requires a lot of medical testing.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/

There are many factors that can effect the length it takes to settle a car accident case including the severity of the injury, the length of medical treatment, the probability of future medical treatment or lost wages, disputes regarding fault in the accident, etc. First, the client should be done with their medical treatment. Second, the attorney will then prepare a settlement package for the insurance adjuster which may include an initial settlement demand. Third, the adjuster usually takes about two weeks to evaluate the claim after receiving all the necessary information from the lawyer. Fourth, the lawyer should be diligent in getting the case submitted to the adjuster and following up with the evaluation. If your lawyer and the insurance adjuster are not able to reach an agreement, then the lawyer and client should discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit.