Do days as alien resident(prior to greencard) count for # of days of physical presence in US when applying for naturalization?

Brooklyn, NY |

I have been a permanent resident of the United States for about a little less than 2.5 years. I am considering to apply for naturalization in the near future. Although I've been a PR for almost 2.5 years, I have been lawfully residing in the United States prior to that, for about 8 years, as an alien (international student.) Do any of these days of residency count towards the legal requirements for physical presence in the United States at all?

1. No. Only the days since you became a permanent or conditional resident count.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. No

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

3. You must count from the day you became a lawful permanent resident. Look at your card and get a date, count from that date.

The above is intended as general information only and cannot be relied upon as legal advice. Laws change constantly and vary from state to state. The legal principals discussed may differ substantially from your personal situation. Therefore You should consult an attorney about your particular situation. (212)880-1538 Law Offices of Tsirina Goroshit is a Full Service Immigration Law Office, at 275 Madison Avenue, 4th Floor New York, NY 10016