Do criminal lawyers handle expungements? Or is there a lawyer specially for expungement cases?

Dallas, TX |

I'm 22 years old, part time student, and a full time employee at a Family Dollar Store. When I was 17 years old I got into a little trouble with a group of friends who decided to steal out a department store. Although I didn't take anything I was the driver so all three of us got charged with theft under $50. I don't remember if I pleaded not guilty or no contest, but I know I was placed on deferred probation for 90 days. I completed my community service and paid my court cost/ lawyer fees as well as took the theft prevention class I agreed to take. I know my lawyer told me I would be eligible for an expungement after two years. It's going on five. It killed my spirit and was very embarrassing when I was offered a good paying job at a call center only for them to call back and deny me.

You are eligible for an expunction. Any criminal defense attorney can do this for you. Our fees vary for this service, so you'll want to call a few of us to get quotes.

Macy Jaggers's answer to a legal question on Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Jaggers offers everyone a free consultation to discuss their case. Feel free to call her office at 214-365-9800 to make an appointment (phones are answered 24 hours) or visit her website at www.macyjaggers.com for more information about her services and recent victories.

Yes, a criminal attorney is the type that you will need.

Yes a criminal lawyer would handle your expungement. It would be wise to retain an attorney who has a familiarity with the prosecutor and judge in the court of your conviction because whether to set aside your prior conviction is usually within the discretion of the judge in that particular court.

A criminal defense attorney is the best choice for handling Expungements. They can advise you as to the requirements and prepare the paperwork.
Www.Austincriminaldefenseattorney.Com
Austin Felony Lawyer
512-495-1813

My answers are intended only as general legal advice and are not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for a full consultation with a local experienced criminal defense attorney. For more answers based on my 19 years of experience visit my website, www.austincriminaldefenseattorney.com

Actually, most criminal defense lawyers don't handle expunctions, because they're civil cases and have their own quirky set of laws and procedures. It's important that you select an attorney who is actually familiar with all that, because if an expunction gets handled wrong, it can be a real mess to try to straighten out later (having most of the records gone instead of all of them can make it very hard to fix things if the error isn't caught until a couple of years later, and it may actually require filing a completely new case). However, in your specific case, general knowledge of and experience with the expunction statutes is going to be more relevant than having an "in" with the judge or the prosecutor, because as old as your case is, the two year statute of limitations has long since run, and the expunction itself is guaranteed to happen (it's not at all discretionary in this instance). Good luck.

Macy Michelle Jaggers

Macy Michelle Jaggers

You guys must do things differently in Houston. I know just about every criminal attorney in Dallas, and we all handle expunctions.

You didn't have to wait 2 years. You could have gotten the expungement when you were 17. Expungements must be done perfectly and sent to all the right places to not show up any more. Any attorney, criminal or civil, can do an expungement. My firm does both criminal and civil, as do a lot of other law firms. Find a firm you are comfortable with. If you got 90 days deferred adjudication probation, you qualify for an expungement now.

Although an expunction matter is technically a civil case, criminal lawyers typically handle these matters in Texas.

In Texas, "Theft

Disclaimer: The information you obtain at Avvo is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Under no circumstances do answers by this Texas attorney to questions on Avvo result in or create an attorney-client relationship.