Do criminal defense lawyer travel

Asked almost 5 years ago - Long Beach, CA

do they have to go all around the world to do there job

1. Lewis Robert Rosenblum

Pro

2

1

Answered . It seems as though the top echelon of criminal defense lawyers do travel when the fee is right. Most people are looking to save money when they are hiring someone, however for the very rich, when cost is not an obstacle, they want the very best money can buy. Many times the big name lawyers you see on TV will travel when people are willing to pay all their expenses and pay them a sum that makes it worthwhile leaving your home and your family. So the answer is, they travel if they feel it benefits them.

2. Anthony Carl Morgan

1

2

Answered . Most of the time the answer is no, attorney’s normally practice in the local courts in their respective area. It is more comfortable when you know the court, know the staff, know were the restrooms are, the library, places to eat, etc.

Disclaimer: This answer is a free educational opinion only and does not create an attorney-client relationship and does not constitute legal advice. Many of the questions on AVVO are missing key facts and are also missing all of the documentation necessary to properly evaluate the legal problem in issue. For a proper evaluation of your legal matter you will need to obtain a consultation and review of the facts and documents at issue in your case.

3. Jerod Gunsberg

Pro

1

1

Answered . Yes. A criminal defense lawyer will travel when needed, but as my colleagues has said -- it comes with a price. It is far more common for attorneys who handle federal criminal cases to travel than those who don't (the federal rules of procedure are the same everywhere -- with a few local differences). In state court cases, the rules are very different from state to state and even from courthouse to courthouse.

4. Mahir T Sherif

1

1

Answered . Most criminal defense attorneys do not ordinarily travel a lot.In fact quite a good number of them may in fact practice in a few courts within their jurisdiction.Others may travel from one court to another within their county.Sometimes the travel could be an hour or more between courts.

Most criminal defense attorneys do not travel outside of their state to represent clients in another state.Some do.I am one of those defense attorneys who has on ocassion traveled to different states to represent clients.While ordinarily I do not like to travel outside of California to represent clients,I have at times done it because I had an established relationship with the client beforehand, or the type of case called for me to stand up and do what I was trained to do. I would bet to guess though that most criminal defense attorneys prefer not to travel far to practice their profession.

There is also the issue of being licensing.Most states have licensing requirements for the practice of law within their boundaries.As such,say a criminal defense attorney licensed in California,may not be able to practice law in Missouri without meeting some requirements.Most lawyers cannot just get up and practice law in another state without first having met the licensing requirements of that state.

5. Donalda Jean Gillies

1

2

Answered . Because criminal defense lawyers are members of the bar in one state and maybe a couple of others, they tend to limit their practice to those states in which they are familiar with the laws and procedures. Most prefer to stay in a finite location, where they are familiar with the judges, the district attorneys, the courts. This helps them to give advice that is based on knowledge of what the case is worth in that area, and knowledge of the other parties, as well as a sense of whom the jury pool might consist. They can evaluate a case based on not only the specific legal and factual issues but also the people and policies of the region. This knowledge is valuable.

That said, it is possible for a criminal defense (or other) lawyer to appear on a case in a state or locale where he is not admitted, with the court's permission, usually with a member of that state's bar as co-counsel. While the general principles of criminal law tend to be commonly applied, the states vary widely in procedures, case law and statutes, so each case typically needs at least one member of the defense team to be fully conversant with the applicable laws.

That said, some superstar lawyers do travel a fair amount. They charge a lot to do so, but those who can afford their services tend to believe that they are worth the money, that their intellect and courtroom abilities are extremely valuable. These superstars tend to be very particular as to which cases they accept.

Attorneys who handle cases in federal courts travel more widely, on the whole, than those who handle state criminal cases.

DISCLAIMER: This answer to a short question is provided solely for general informational purposes and based on general legal principles and court practice. Local practice may differ from location to location. This post is not intended to provide the specific legal advice you might need to decide your future actions.