Do contingent beneficiaries of the Residuary get notice of the probate? Esp. when the Will has numerous Ambigous clauses in it?

San Francisco, CA |

If they did not recieve notice & Bank of America was Executor are they the ones at fault for the no notice? Also does this make a case for Extrinsic fraud & toll the statutes? TY~ :)

This appears to be a follow-up to your earlier question. I would say that contingent beneficiaries do not need to receive notice, but a California attorney might disagree. I guess that the question I would have is whether notice is going to make any difference? Even if you were supposed to be provided notice and it was not given, does that change anything? If the answer is no, then technically, there could have been a impropriety. But it is not likely to do you any good. I do not think there is any fraud, based on the little information you have provided.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!

Any individual named in a Will is entitled to notice of the probate and the Court reviews the will for this. The San Francisco Probate Court (I assume that is where the decedent's estate is being administered) is very good about this. The Petition for Probate form in California is very specific as to who is entitled to notice.

You seem to be very concerned about the way this porbate is being administered. I strongly advise you to take the documents to an attorney who can review the exact language with an understanding of all the facts (you seem to keep adding additional facts). It is the only way that you can guarantee that the advice that you receive will be based on the facts at hand. If the probate has already started, you need to do so immediately. Please make sure that you see an attorney who practices in the area of probate litigation since that seems to be the basis of all of your questions.

You could save yourself a lot of time by simply taking your matter to a probate attorney for review. Probate, like many areas of law, is not intuitive. What you think should be the rule frequently is not -- the rules are drafted to protect the intent of the testator, not the interests of contingent beneficiaries.

Notice of probate proceedings is posted and published. Personal representatives and trustees only must provide notice to known heirs and beneficiaries. Unknown contingent beneficiaries receive no notice because they are unknown. The published and posted notice is usually sufficient to cut-off any rights of such unknown persons.

If there are pending probate proceedings, you need to take action now. If the estate has been closed and the personal representative or trustee has been discharged – you probably will be unable to state any claim against anyone. Good luck.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates