Do citizens of the United States have to abide by the Constitution?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Spooner, WI

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

6

1

Answered . Your question is way too broad--books are written on the subject and there are likely scores of websites engaged in philosophical banter on the subject.

As a general point of entry, the government has to abide by the Constitution.

2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

1

Answered . The Constitution sets forth the framework for our government and limits on government power. It does not have any direct requirements for individual responsibilities. I was an elected official at one time. As such, I undertook an oath to support and defend the Constitution. That oath expired with my term of office.

3. Brian Mitchell Mekdsy

Pro

2

Answered . The Constitution spells out the rules and procedures for how the government operates. It includes specific powers designated to the federal government, as well as the limitations on those powers (in the Bill of Rights). As such, it is the government (meaning, elected officials and other agents of the government) that must abide by the Constitution.

Simply stated, the Constitution dictates and informs the activities of the government, not of private citizens.

Private citizens, however, have an obligation to abide by the laws passed by the government under the Constitution.

Hope this helps.