Do citizens of the United States have to abide by the Constitution?

Spooner, WI |

Your question is way too broad--books are written on the subject and there are likely scores of websites engaged in philosophical banter on the subject.

As a general point of entry, the government has to abide by the Constitution.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I am providing educational instruction only--not legal advice. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Then why can't I find any information on it doing a web search?

I was asking about citizens, not government.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

What does the Constitution say about Citizens? Not much. I think the word is only present 10 or 11 times--the document is designed to curb the abuses of government--not address what citizens must or must not do. You'll notice if you read the document, there is section about Congress, a section about the Judiciary, a section about the President, some bits about Federal State relationship and the Bill of Rights--no list or code or rules for citizens. It does not require citizens comport themselves to the law--but rather the law and the processes are bent to the Citizen’s protection. As to your question specifically--it has no fixed answer because it’s overbroad.

I get it now. Thanks for the information.

The Constitution sets forth the framework for our government and limits on government power. It does not have any direct requirements for individual responsibilities. I was an elected official at one time. As such, I undertook an oath to support and defend the Constitution. That oath expired with my term of office.

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for IMPORTANT INFORMATION about this AVVO Answer. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . I am an experienced Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes.

The Constitution spells out the rules and procedures for how the government operates. It includes specific powers designated to the federal government, as well as the limitations on those powers (in the Bill of Rights). As such, it is the government (meaning, elected officials and other agents of the government) that must abide by the Constitution.

Simply stated, the Constitution dictates and informs the activities of the government, not of private citizens.

Private citizens, however, have an obligation to abide by the laws passed by the government under the Constitution.

Hope this helps.

This answer is in response to a general legal question and is intended for informational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice. Use of this website and its e-mail link does not create an attorney-client relationship with Attorney Mekdsy. Messages with confidential information should not be sent to Attorney Mekdsy via the e-mail link. The information provided in this answer must not be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. Brian Mekdsy is licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts only.

State, local, and municipal law topics