Do casinos have any liability in parking lot breakins?

Asked about 5 years ago - Tunica, MS

Our vehicle was recently broken into in a casino parking lot which was monitored by security cameras. The truck has almost $1200 in damage to the lock and side door. Taken was a Gps, digital camera, a pandora bracelet totaling approx $1500. Just curious...

also some cash was taken..

1. Peter Marc Schaeffer

Pro

1

1

Answered . No more than the supermarket parking lot or any other business parking lot where you self park your car.

2. Lars A. Lundeen

Pro

Answered . As I am not licensed in your state, I cannot offer specific legal advice as to Mississippi state law. However, generally, hotels and other businesses have been found liable for assaults and robberies against people, based on inadequate security. However, those cases are often difficult and expensive to prove and usually only warrant the expenditure of the needed costs because there has been significant damage to a person. I would doubt that it would be economically feasible to pursue such a claim for a mere property loss. Hopefully you have homeowners insurance which will cover some of the stolen items and coverage on your vehicle which will pay for that damage as well. You also could contact the casino and see whether or not they would be willing to make some reimbursement to you as a good will gesture.