Do both parents of grandchild have to sign guardianship papers in order for me(grandmother) to take grandchild out of state?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jacksonville, NC

My son is in the military and his wife just tried to overdose. Need to get baby out of the situation and I don't need any complications

1. Nathan Edward Sweet

1

Answered . I would certainly contact the Department of Social Services. You need to speak with an attorney about potentially filing on you or your son's behalf.

2. Gilbert W. File IV

Answered . Definitely a difficult situation, but one that unfortunately is not related to guardianship of a child. This is not just a difference in terminology; it's a matter of court jurisdiction and procedure.

You may want to call Child Protective Services, and possibly CPS could step in and assist you with obtaining temporary custody. Ultimately, it may be a matter for the domestic courts for custody of a minor child. If you can't get immediate help through CPS, you may want to post your question in the child custody section of this site or contact an experienced domestic attorney in your county.

3. Amanda Bowden Houser

Pro

Answered . If you intend to take the child on a semi-permanent basis a temporary custody order would most likely be your best bet. If both parents consent it should be a fairly quick and fairly inexpensive proposition.