Do attorney suppose to keep things secret even if you not his client yet?

Garden Grove, CA |

if i call an attorney and dicuss to him about my case but im not his client yet and only over the phone, do he still require to keep things secret eventhough im not his client yet? and the charge i was talking to him was about some misdemeanor and felony and is not a big crime and doesnt threaten anyone

1. Your consultation with an attorney for the purpose of obtaining legal advice or representation, provided no third parties are present or listening in with your permission, is always confidential whether or not you actually retain that attorney. There are a few exceptions to the rule but your question does not implicate them.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

2. One thing to add to my colleague's excellent answer -- Expressly confirm with the attorney that the conversation is "privileged" so you know that you are both on the same page.

This answer does not constitute legal advice nor form an attorney client relationship. I am not your lawyer. If you have a legal issue in Maryland, Virginia, or the District of Columbia, you may contact me for a free consultation.

3. Generally, even a consultation with an attorney over the phone is covered by the attorney client privilege.