Do attorney suppose to keep things secret even if you not his client yet?

Asked over 1 year ago - Garden Grove, CA

if i call an attorney and dicuss to him about my case but im not his client yet and only over the phone, do he still require to keep things secret eventhough im not his client yet? and the charge i was talking to him was about some misdemeanor and felony and is not a big crime and doesnt threaten anyone

1. Michael Raymond Daymude

Pro

6

1

Answered . Your consultation with an attorney for the purpose of obtaining legal advice or representation, provided no third parties are present or listening in with your permission, is always confidential whether or not you actually retain that attorney. There are a few exceptions to the rule but your question does not implicate them.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

3

Answered . Generally, even a consultation with an attorney over the phone is covered by the attorney client privilege.

3. Daniel Sage Ward

2

Answered . One thing to add to my colleague's excellent answer -- Expressly confirm with the attorney that the conversation is "privileged" so you know that you are both on the same page.