Do all workers comp cases get settled?

Branson, MO |

I suffered a back injury at work and now need cortisone shots for pain management. They don't work, and I still have sharp back and leg pains. I'm just wondering how much longer I need to deal with doctor's that won't listen and do the bare minimum to keep the insurance people satisfied.

No, all cases do not settle.

Attorneys are very competitive. Choose the Best Answer so we know who helped you the most.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

Succint answer!

No, all cases do not settle. Even if they did, that does not mean your pain is going away. Make sure you have a good lawyer working to maximize your claim, especially if you expect it to be life long. Good luck.

The information provided should not be considered legal advice. I am not licensed to practice in any State other than SC. The results of your case will depend on the presentation of evidence, the law and other factors that may change depending on an in depth analysis of the facts of the case. Please see an attorney before making legal decisions.

All workers compensation cases do not settle. In Georgia, the insurance company and the claimant have to both want to settle the case. If either party decides not to compromise the case, the case will not settle. The insurance company is only obligated to provide monetary benefits if you are out of work per the treating physician work restrictions and to pay for medical treatment ordered by the doctor. If the insurance company does not agree with the doctor's recommendations, they can send the injured worker to another doctor to see if the treatment recommendations are reasonable and necessary. Insurance companies can send the claimant to multiple (IME's) independent medical exams, while the claimant can chose another physician to do an IME at the insurer's expense.

I would recommend that you get a good workers' comp lawyer to help you first, before you even consider settlement. There may be a lot that can be done to help you with the correct legal help.

Here in NC about 85% of cases eventually settle. But I don't like to settle a client's case when the medical outcome is so uncertain. I think that is too risky for the client.

Brett A. Borah

Brett A. Borah

I agree.

Workers Comp here in Missouri is a complicated system that is designed to benefit employers, not the employee. All cases do not settle, and there are time restrictions you need to be aware of that could affect your case.

I represent injured workers all across Missouri, and would be glad to speak with you about the case in more detail free of charge. 314-808-6157.

***PLEASE NOTE: My response to this question and any other question in this forum are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. My answer to this question should be viewed as general in nature and does not establish an attorney client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements***

I agree with my colleagues, but I would just add that if you are in so much pain that it is hard to hold down a full time job, you may look at applying for social security disability insurance benefits. Even if it is just temporary, it may help you while you are recovering. You can apply online at www.ssa.gov.

Only about 20% of people get approved at the application but if you get denied, you can appeal it and wait for a hearing. At the hearing stage, there is about a 50-60% approval rate. You will need an experienced SSD attorney to help you with the hearing. You can do the application on your own but some people hire an attorney to help them with this as well since the attorney does not get paid unless you win.

Hope this additional info helps!
Saundra McDowell

NOTICE: Many states require attorneys to notify email recipients that email is not a secure method of communication, that it may be copied and held by any computer through which it passes, and persons not participating in the communication may intercept the communication. If you would like to discontinue this method of communication, please advise, and no further e-mail communication will be sent to you. The information contained in this message is confidential, attorney privileged, and intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by email or telephone and permanently delete the original email and all copies of it.

No, all workers' compensation claims do not settle. You should consult a seasoned workers' compensation lawyer. I am interested in learning more details about your legal question. My firm is located in St. Louis and is a respected, family owned plaintiff’s personal injury practice. We offer a toll free number you can use to reach me – 800-391-4318. A good response to your question would be too long to type so my hope is that you will call our office and ask for me so that I can give you a private, no-obligation consultation by phone. You can learn more about our firm by visiting www.missourilawhelp.com. Thanks!

Past results afford no guarantee of future results and every case is different and must be judged on its own merits. The choice of a lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements. Neither the Supreme Court of Missouri nor The Missouri Bar reviews or approves certifying organizations or specialist designations. This is Attorney Advertising. The information provided on the Meyerkord & Meyerkord LLC website is not intended to be legal advice, but merely conveys general information related to legal issues commonly encountered. This information is not intended to create any legal relationship between Meyerkord & Meyerkord, LLC or any attorney and the user. Neither the transmission nor receipt of these website materials will create an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. The information is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or current. We make no warranty, expressed or implied, about the accuracy or reliability of the information at this website or at any other website to which this site is linked. Please note that recovery results vary per client. The recovery amounts in each case reflect the specific facts of that case. Further, recovery amounts in past cases are not a guarantee of future results. This website is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship between the user and Meyerkord & Meyerkord LLC. An attorney-client relationship with us cannot be formed by reading the information at this website. The only way to become our client is through a mutual agreement in a formal letter. This website is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. You should not act or rely on any information at this website without seeking the advice of an attorney. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on websites or advertisements

Hir an experienced workers' compensation attorney, like myself.