Do all wills need to be probated in New York?

If all decedents assets are held jointly does the will need to be probated?

Smithtown, NY -

Frank Louis Buquicchio

Frank Louis Buquicchio

Estate Planning Attorney - Ronkonkoma, NY

Typically, the only reason to probate a Will would be if the decedent owned asset(s) in his/her name individually with no named beneficiary on the account. Assets owned with another with right of survivorship or with named beneficiary escape probate

Eric Edward Rothstein

Eric Edward Rothstein

Criminal Defense Attorney - New York, NY

If the assets will transfer automatically there is no need to probate.

Mark Michael Campanella

Mark Michael Campanella

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Fairport, NY

The answer will depend on a number of factors, but the most critical are the size of the estate and whether they are jointly or separately owned as my colleagues suggest. It's best to consult with local counsel to determine whether probate is necessary in your case.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Estate Planning Attorney - Largo, FL

I agree with the "NO" answers posted by the other attorneys.

Marcus William Kroll

Marcus William Kroll

Wills and Living Wills Lawyer - Rochester, NY

Jointly held assets pass outside of the probate process as testamentary substitutes, and do not need to be probated.

Keep in mind certain items which are not titled such as personal items may need to be probated, depending on what the Will says regarding such items.