Skip to main content

Do all petitions or appeals filed at the Supreme Court of Nevada get docketed or scheduled for hearing?

Las Vegas, NV |

Someone is trying to overturn a ruling by a District Court judge that was in my favor. How likely is it that they will be able to accomplish this? Their only knowledge and complaint about my case is pure speculation and lies because it was a private case. The only people allowed to see any info on the case were those involved. The appellant was not involved in said case.

Attorney Answers 2


Appeals to the Nevada Supreme Court are handled differently if they are filed pro se, versus filed with counsel. I suggest that you look up the Nevada Rules of Appellate Practice to help you address your situation. It is difficult to imagine a non party appealing a judgment. There may be an issue as to whether the appeal is of a final order or whether the appellant has standing. Thus absent the appeal being ripe for determination with proper parties, it may be summarily dismissed by the Court. However, such dismissals may take a long time to occur. I suggest that you consult with an attorney who is familiar with Nevada Supreme Court appeals to address the specifics of what is being appealed.

This response is not intended to create an attorney client relationship. The response is solely intended to answer the question presented. Additional facts and issues are unknown to the responding attorney. Should you still have questions, legal assistance should be sought by making an appointment to meet with an attorney, rather than attempting to resolve the issue via e mail. This response is merely provided to give direction to assist you in the decision of whether you should contact an attorney or not.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees




The non party appellant is appealing the judgement that a district court judge rendered against them (appellant) when they attempted to set my adoption aside. Case was dismissed due to not having any grounds to file in first place

Dara J. Goldsmith

Dara J. Goldsmith


Thus a party appealed the matter. The party had been determined to lack standing at the district court level. You probably should consult an attorney about your next steps on appeal. I imagine that the appeallant's docketing statment is due soon. You may want to respond. You may want to retain counsel to assist you. Best of luck in your endeavors.


Office of the Clerk Overview
Virtually all of your contact with the Nevada Supreme Court regarding matters pending before the court will be with the Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is where you can ask questions regarding the status of a case, find records relating to cases pending before the court, and file briefs and other documents.

In addition to being the custodian of the court's records, the clerk keeps the court's docket, schedules oral argument, and issues writs at the direction of the court. The Clerk's Office also administers the court's settlement program and oversees the court's publications.

Oral Arguments

Most matters on the court’s docket are submitted “on the briefs,” which means the court will make its decision based upon the briefs, appendices, and other documents that have been filed in a matter.

However, some cases are scheduled for oral argument at the court’s request. “Oral argument” refers to counsel’s spoken arguments to the court in support of their position on a matter before the court. Oral argument may be before a panel of the court or the full court (en banc). The justices may, and often do, ask questions of counsel during oral argument.

The court's oral argument calendar is available HERE. Audio files of oral arguments may be accessed in the Prior Oral Arguments section (CLICK HERE). Additionally, most arguments can be viewed on the internet via the court's Webstream on the day of the argument.

The materials available at this web site are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to this Web site or any of the e-mail links contained within the site do not create an attorney-client relationship between Howard Roitman, Esq. and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the opinions of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney.

Mark as helpful