Do all petitions or appeals filed at the Supreme Court of Nevada get docketed or scheduled for hearing?

Asked over 1 year ago - Las Vegas, NV

Someone is trying to overturn a ruling by a District Court judge that was in my favor. How likely is it that they will be able to accomplish this? Their only knowledge and complaint about my case is pure speculation and lies because it was a private case. The only people allowed to see any info on the case were those involved. The appellant was not involved in said case.

1. Dara J. Goldsmith

Pro

1

1

Answered . Appeals to the Nevada Supreme Court are handled differently if they are filed pro se, versus filed with counsel. I suggest that you look up the Nevada Rules of Appellate Practice to help you address your situation. It is difficult to imagine a non party appealing a judgment. There may be an issue as to whether the appeal is of a final order or whether the appellant has standing. Thus absent the appeal being ripe for determination with proper parties, it may be summarily dismissed by the Court. However, such dismissals may take a long time to occur. I suggest that you consult with an attorney who is familiar with Nevada Supreme Court appeals to address the specifics of what is being appealed.

2. Howard Robert Roitman

Pro

Answered . Office of the Clerk Overview
    Virtually all of your contact with the Nevada Supreme Court regarding matters pending before the court will be with the Clerk's Office. The Clerk's Office is where you can ask questions regarding the status of a case, find records relating to cases pending before the court, and file briefs and other documents.

In addition to being the custodian of the court's records, the clerk keeps the court's docket, schedules oral argument, and issues writs at the direction of the court. The Clerk's Office also administers the court's settlement program and oversees the court's publications.

Oral Arguments

Most matters on the court’s docket are submitted “on the briefs,” which means the court will make its decision based upon the briefs, appendices, and other documents that have been filed in a matter.

However, some cases are scheduled for oral argument at the court’s request. “Oral argument” refers to counsel’s spoken arguments to the court in support of their position on a matter before the court. Oral argument may be before a panel of the court or the full court (en banc). The justices may, and often do, ask questions of counsel during oral argument.

The court's oral argument calendar is available HERE. Audio files of oral arguments may be accessed in the Prior Oral Arguments section (CLICK HERE). Additionally, most arguments can be viewed on the internet via the court's Webstream on the day of the argument.