Do all married couples get called in to do an interview for permanent residency?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

Hello. I am a US citizen and my spouse is undocumented. We are filing for her conditional permanent residency. Our immigration lawyer mentioned to us that not all couples in our shoes get interviewed after filing for conditional permanent residency. He said that in fact, if we go ahead and send enough evidence showing that we are truly married (when we send the required paperwork and payment) there is a chance we would not need to go to an interview. I thought we would ask since we have always thought everyone is interviewed.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

30

2

Answered . In over 30 years of practicing immigration law, in every marriage case that I have prepared and submitted, the couple has been interviewed.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Subscribe to our Free Immigration Newsletter
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Armen Gukasyan

Pro

12

1

Answered . Like Attorney Shusterman, I have never seen a marriage-based permanent residency case where the couple was not interviewed.

Immigration Attorney

3. Shah Iqbal Nawaaz Peerally

11

Answered . Yes, interview is something part of the process. There is nothing to fear as long as your marriage is bona fide. But you said your wife is undocumented, make sure she can adjust. Hire an attorney to help. You might want to watch this video on how the interview is conducted.
    http://youtu.be/-dlEumeHTw4

4. Morgan Laine Place

10

Answered . As the other attorneys have stated, the interview is a part of the petition process and should not be a cause for concern. I have never been involved in order heard of a case which did not require an interview. In some cases, there can even be two separate interviews (one to determine the validity of the marriage and one for adjustment of status), although I have never experienced such a case.

The focus should not be to attempt to avoid the interview, but to be prepared for your interview.