Do all defendants in a law suit have to file their responses separately with the courts?

Berkeley, CA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

Someone is attempting to sue myself and my family in civil court. Do we all have to file our responses separately or can we file one response together?

Each of you has to respond, but if the responses are identical, you can respond in one pleading that clearly indicates that it is the response of each of you.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

It is not uncommon for multiple defendants represented by one attorney to only file one pleading/answer on behalf of all defendants, assuming they all have the identical defenses. If there is any divergence, separate answers is more prudent. The answer fee is based on the number of defendants answering not the number of pleadings.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also avvo.com terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Each defendant does not have to fill separately. Although, fir each defendant you will have to file a separate distinct filing fee with the court unless you are very limited with no means and then you can request a waiver of the filing fee.

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

John, you would be at level 20 if you ever pressed "I agree" for the other Avvo attorneys. Respectfully,

John Noah Kitta

John Noah Kitta

Michael, Thanks for the heads up, it is appreciated. If I am in need of a business attorney in your area, I will be sure to consider your office.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland

You are very kind. You certainly have a great history of superb Avvo answers.