Skip to main content

Do all cars in my name require a breathalyzer?

Vancouver, WA |

I have had two DUIs in the past and am currently required to have a breathalyzer installed in my car. My teenage daughter starts driving soon and her car will be in my name. Does her car need to have a breathalyzer also since the car will be in my name?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


The state of Washington Ionky requires the IID installed on all vehicles you drive, not all vehicles you own.

Follow the link below to the state's website.

Good Luck.

Every case and situation is different and vary greatly depending on specific facts. My posts are not to be considered complete answers to each question. My posts do not constitute an attorney/client relationship. I am only licensed to practice in the State of Florida and in federal courts. Florida Bar #337821, admitted 1982.

James J White

James J White


Jonathan, I do not see you listed on the Washington State Bar Association website. I'm thinking it's best if you refrain from practicing law regarding Washington law.


The same in Minnesota. Only the vehicles that you drive regardless of ownership.


You just need it in the car that you drive. If you need to drive a vehicle for work, you can probably get an exception for that. Assuming the car your daughter will drive is not also driven by you, that vehicle will not need one.


Only if you will be driving it at any time.

Scott W Lawrence
(425) 488-8481 Office


Just one


You are only required to have the ignition interlock device installed in the car(s) you drive. You will only need the ignition interlock device in the car your daughter drives if you will be driving it as well.

Get Avvo’s 3-part DUI email series

A roundup of the best tips and legal advice.

DUI topics

Recommended articles about DUI

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer