Do all attorneys charge by the hour for phone calls between client and himself, to ask about the case?

Asked over 2 years ago - Plainfield, NJ

This would be once I have paid the lawyer retainer.

1. Andrew J Siegel

2

Answered . Other counsel provided good responses. Generally, if case is being done on contingency, there is no charge for calls. Too, if done on hourly basis then usually charge for phone calls. Calls may be expressly mentioned in the retainer agreement or may be deemed part of phrase like "all services regarding representation". Whether there is a charge may also depend on the nature of question, time it takes to answer and the billing habits of counsel. For example, if you call to just ask the date and time of a hearing, you probably will not get charged. Also, sometimes counsel want to be very cognizant of not billing too much on file so they might not charge at all (or not much) if the call is not particularly long or complex. Check retainer agreement but also ask counsel up front whether he charges for same. Note, most of my work is on an hourly basis and I typically charge for phone calls. Remember, a lawyer sells time as he has no inventory so charging for time for a phone call is usually fair.
    Note, I am not your attorney and no attorney client relationship exists. You should hire counsel to assist you.

2. James Thomas Kinder

2

Answered . Some attorneys do. You would need to look at your retainer agreement.

3. Brian S Wayson

1

Answered . Sometimes. If your case is a contingency fee case - say for an auto accident - then the attorney may chose not to charge for such calls as there is no effective way to bill for them. If you case is an hourly fee case, let's say private criminal defense, then the attorney generally does charge for such calls.Often the billing goes by each tenth of an hour or every six minutes.