Do affidavits from friends and family (to confirm bona fide marriages) need to be notarized?

Chicago, IL |
Filed under: Family law

for form I-130...

They do not need to be notarized. The author can simply write that they swear that the above statements are true and accurate to the best of their knowledge. Sign and Dated.

"Each affidavit must contain the full name and address, date and place of birth of the person making the affidavit, his or her relationship to the petitioner of beneficiary, if any, and complete information and details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge of your marriage." I-130 Instructions.

Good Luck,

Andre Olivie, Esq.
Seattle Immigration Lawyer
www.olivielaw.com

I agree with the previous answer. I would only caution that, in cases where the affidavits are not very good, I have seen denials criticize them in part on the ground that they were not notarized.

Scott D. Pollock
Scott D. Pollock & Associates, P.C.
105 W. Madison, Suite 2200
Chicago, IL 60602
(312) 444-1940
fax: (312) 444-1950
email: spollock@lawfirm1.com
website: www.lawfirm1.com

Visit our revised website at www.lawfirm1.com for updated information, client convenience features and our immigration blog.