Do a need to pay a vehicle sales tax on a car I turn in on a chapter 7?

Saint Louis, MO |

I was in a chapter 13 then converted to a chapter 7 and gave up my car my sales tax on the car was in the bankruptsey

1. No, the part of the debt attributed to sales tax would also be discharged in your bankruptcy. Hope this perspective helps!

2. Probably "Yes."

The debt is likely not dischargeable and it might affect your ability to get a license or plates.

3. I'm concerned with why you're asking the question here. If you had an attorney for your bankruptcy, (and hopefully you did), that should be the person to ask. Even a dischargeable debt may not be discharged under certain circumstances. Your attorney should know the answer, and should be able to help.

Best Wishes

This advice is based upon limited and hypothetical circumstances. For an answer that is specific to your situation, please consult an attorney. The answering of this question does not create an attorney/client relationship, and the poster should seek additional information from qualified legal counsel. Many attorneys, like ours, offer no-cost consultations.