Do a defendant have the right to be cleared by an alibi. My son was charge with murder and he has six witness statement to coop

Asked about 1 year ago - Greenville, MS

at the time of the arrest i went down to the police station to give my statement, they refuse to take my statement. I stayed down there for about six hours and they gave me the run around. He also have five statements confirming that he was not on the scene but they brought charges against him anyway. no interrogation of any witness, treated very rude. No search warrant was issue not nothing they took our statement after they put charges on him and smeared his name in the paper. I truly believe greenville police department over step there boundaries. The public defender charge me 500 dollars for to bring in a license polygrapher and my son said the man does it for everybody. Please i need some help in understanding the action of the police department they have brought false charges upon m

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Anders Ferrington

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . 1. A polygraph is not recognized as evidence in court
    2. Your son is facing serious charges, you need to either let the public defender do their job or hire outside counsel.
    3. You do not have privilege with your son nor is there confidentiality online

    The law office of Anders Ferrington 601-316-8428 practices state wide. In no way am I offering you legal advice,... more
  2. James P Brady

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The police do not usually dismiss charges because a defendant offers alibi witnesses. That is why we have courts and trials.

  3. Anthony Joseph Muhlenkamp

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no confidentiality on line.

    Let the PD do their job or hire a private attorney. You can help in getting his witnesses contact information to his attorney or their investigator so that they can get his case geared up for trial and organized. I always appreciate when my client's families can get me that information so I can run with it.

    It sounds like the police here were less than professional. Unfortnuately, that does tend to happen sometimes. Also, it is not uncommon for the police to ignore a suspect's mother, as most suspect's mothers are willing to say something on their son's behalf. However, do not be swayed here, you can still play an active role in your son's defense by keeping in touch with your son's attorney and answering any questions that they have. Good luck.

    Anthony Muhlenkamp - 314-725-7777;, Frank, Juengel & Radefeld, Attorneys at Law, P.C.... more
  4. James Regan


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At this point, you either have to let the public defender do their job or hire an experienced local criminal litigator for your son.

    There is no confidentiality online. Volunteering to answer this question does not create an attorney-client relationship. The accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. The likelihood of a positive outcome- exoneration or a mitigated sentence- is increased with the help of an experienced criminal litigator. Seek out an experienced criminal litigator for a free consultation. If you cannot find one on Avvo, search at the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers ( Speak to several attorneys and hire the one that makes you feel confident and comfortable. NACDL local members:

    Educational purposes answer. | | | | | Non-privileged answer.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,785 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,785 answers this week

2,900 attorneys answering