Do you have to be employed to maintain and renew your Employment Authorization Document?

New York, NY |

We are Indian citizens and our Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has been renewed until 2015. EAD is from my husband's employer.His I-140 document has been approved already.

Should he quit his job in a few months and remain unemployed for a bit, can we still (a) continue to maintain our EAD (b) renew our EAD when the time comes (2015)? What are the employment requirements for him to maintain his EAD?

1. Your husband must continue working full time in the same or similar occupational classification for which he was petitioned.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

2. Husband must continue to be employed in the same or similar occupation for which he was originally petitioned.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

3. How long has it been since the I-485 was filed?

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.