Do you have to be employed to maintain and renew your Employment Authorization Document?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

We are Indian citizens and our Employment Authorization Document (EAD) has been renewed until 2015. EAD is from my husband's employer.His I-140 document has been approved already.

Should he quit his job in a few months and remain unemployed for a bit, can we still (a) continue to maintain our EAD (b) renew our EAD when the time comes (2015)? What are the employment requirements for him to maintain his EAD?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Husband must continue to be employed in the same or similar occupation for which he was originally petitioned.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  2. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your husband must continue working full time in the same or similar occupational classification for which he was petitioned.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  3. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . How long has it been since the I-485 was filed?

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,598 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,598 answers this week

3,296 attorneys answering