Skip to main content

DMV License suspension for felony hit and run?

Fremont, CA |

For a 1 year DMV license suspension resulting from a felony hit and run conviction, can there (1) be an early end to the DMV suspension based on good behavior and (2) will there be a further suspension if the driver gets a 12500 infraction while on the suspended license.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Driving without a valid license (VC 12500) is not as serious as driving on a suspended license (VC 14601.1), which is always a misdemeanor, and can lead to mandatory jail time, arrest and impoundment of your vehicle, and points on your drivers record.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


DMV suspensions don't work like that. Suspensions aren't terminated early for good behavior. You must serve the full term. As for the 12500, that's a charge someone gets for not having a license at all, not for having a suspended license. If driver gets a 14601 violation during sentencing, yes, there could be an additional suspension which depends on the number of points the person has on DMV record.

Any information provided through in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.


You should consult a local criminal attorney for a free consultation. Good luck.


I agree with the other lawyers but want to add that if convicted of driving on a suspended license due to suspension for dui you would face having to intall an IID and the court could order that for the term of probation. An expensive and embarrassing consequence.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer