Dmv has set my dui aside. Now the courts are charging me . can dmv then come after me and take my lic ?

Asked 12 months ago - Hayward, CA

I backed into a car at a gas station . left the scene and went home and drank due to being so scared. was arrested at home blew 1.8 then blood was 2.0. being charged for 3 offences. dmv has set it aside. Now that the courts are charging me can dmv then come after me ? Can these charges be fought since I did not drink prior to the accident . I drank after the fact.

What are my chances of fighting this if I decide to take it to trial ? Why is there 3 charges ? My insurance has taken care of the small dent to the other car. I did not drink that morning. What will I be looking at court wise? Should I hire a attorney and take this to trial ? what are my chances of winning ? Due to the facts of this case dmv has set it aside due to the time accident occurred to the time police gave me the ( 1st test 1.5 hrs later), then time when blood was taken was like 3 hrs later dmv said they could not do noting due to their law.

1. Jon William Woolsey

Pro

8

Answered . Drinking after driving is certainly a defense to a DUI. But, if you are convicted of the offense then the DMV will impose whatever suspension is appropriate under your circumstances.

2. Christine C McCall

Pro

8

Answered . If what you want to know if your chances of winning this case, you will need to consult personally with a skilled and experienced local criminal defense attorney who can explore all of the relevant facts with you. The attorneys here haven't even read the police report. Any answer about your "chances" of winning on the basis of this scanty information would be worthless to you. That answer depends on the evidence against you.

3. Ginny Harjot Kaur Walia

Pro

8

Answered . A DUI conviction in court could definitely lead to a suspension by the DMV. You will need to get a favorable resolution in court, meaning an outcome, that does not give DMV grounds to suspend your license. Call local lawyers for a free consultation.

This answer does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  4. Sholeh Iravantchi

7

Answered . DMV and Criminal court are separate proceedings. If you get convicted in criminal court,then DMV can use that and impose restriction due to your conviction. Need to have a lawyer.

5. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

7

Answered . Ms. McCall is correct, no one on this site is going to analyze your facts and give you predictions. That being said, it appears that you won your Admin Per Se (APS) hearing before the DMV and the DMV set the action aside. However, a conviction in COURT will also lead to administrative suspension from the DMV once the DMV learns of your criminal conviction. (under a different VC Section). So the short answer is YES, even though you "won" the APS hearing, the DMV can come back at you if you are convicted in court and suspend your license based on your criminal conviction for DUI.

6. Michael Jon Fremont

Pro

6

Answered . You have a defense to the DUI by drinking after the accident that is not
    driving under the influence or an alcohol level while you were driving the
    DMV suspends either by administrative action or notice of a DUI conviction

7. Andrew Stephen Roberts

Pro

5

Answered . If you do not prevail in your court case, the DMV will be there to enforce its policies. Ms. McCall is absolutely correct.

Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777
  8. Matthew Murillo

Pro

3

Answered . Yes. If you are convicted of the DUI, DMV can suspend your license based on the conviction. Lawyer up if you haven't already.