DIY Divorce by publication in Alabama or file abandonment? absent since 9/2010 or annulment? Only married 7 months? HELP!

Asked about 2 years ago - Huntsville, AL

I need to divorce my estranged husband. I have not laid eyes on him since Sept 2010. We were only married 7 months. Is it easier to file DIY by publication, file for abandonment or try for an annulment. At this point I am looking at ALL options!

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Jill K. Whitbeck

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You have actually been married nearly 2 years. The length of your marriage is not affected by your cohabitation status. As so much time has gone by, your chances of getting an annulment have been decreased. The safer option is to divorce, but you will need to follow all legal requirements for service of process, which includes making reasonable, documented attempts to find your husband. You should at least consult with an attorney regarding local practice, so you don't waste time and money on a DIY project -- we attorneys often make far more money on botched DIY projects than if folks had retained us from the start, and some mistakes cannot be fixed at any price.

    Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Getting an Annulment

Under certain conditions, a marriage may be annulled. An annulment retroactively makes it as if the marriage never existed.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,450 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,450 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering