Divorcing a spouse with mental illness & ADD after 27 yrs

Asked over 1 year ago - Novato, CA

The husband is retiring from the police dept with a nice pension, and home. The wife is a nervous wreck, living in a rental and is given a minimum amount of cash. She has never worked and according to doctors incapable as she has severe ADD and depression & has been on medication for years. He lives in the family home with their grown children.
he is abusive emotionally and very controlling.
Is there a CA law that protects her and can provide permanent alimony?
Thank you,

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Yes, but you really need to speak with an experienced family law attorney in your area. It may be that your husband will be ordered to pay your attorney's fees so do not attempt to do this alone. If there are significant assets and long term spousal support, then an attorney may be willing to take on the case for a small retainer, hoping to get a court order for attorney fees. See the links below for additional information.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

21,973 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

21,973 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering