Divorced six years, remarried w/newborn current husband lives in Akron divorce decree prohibits move out of Cleveland.

Asked 7 months ago - Westlake, OH

My ex- is unwilling to waive his right to force me live in Cleveland, Ohio area. I want to Live with My Husband in his Akron, Ohio home. Currently living w/ parents. took six months to get to mediation, he filed adversarial so turned to pre trial, mediation ordered. How long could this drag out if stalling me out is his tactic?

I filed motion to move, he objected mediation was scheduled, he filed something called adversarial, making mediation a pre-trial at hearing before magistrate mediation was ordered. He is saying child will be to far from him and his parents, We are willing to drive child in for visitation to his door if necessary and even enroll in Parma rec. for sports (ex lives in Parma) so Dad can see games. still a no go. If delay is his strategy, how long can it take? Can't live away from husband and with parents for ever.

1. William Joseph Reynolds

2

1

Answered . It's hard to tell from the facts you've given exactly what action your ex has filed. This type of case is normally resolved in just a few months. Akron isn't on the other side of the world from Cleveland., I don't see why it should be such an issue but you are required to file a Notice of Intent to Relocate and then, if he doesn't agree, you've got to prove that it's in your child's best interest to make the move. DO NOT try and do this without an attorney. The potential consequences are severe.

2. Peter Stephen Kirner

2

1

Answered . Mediation is pretty simple. It seems that you are being reasonable. You move, so you transport. I am not sure what he is objecting to. Hopefully the court will help "force" an agreement. Does he have a restraining order keeping you from moving ? What does the divorce decree read ? Are you REQUIRED by the decree to live in "cleveland" or are you simply required to file a notice of intent to relocate. There are lots of unanswered questions based on your post. Give me more specifics !!

3. Linda Juergens Lawrence

Pro

1

1

Answered . The fact that you have mediation scheduled, may help you obtain a quicker resolution. You should definitely talk with an attorney before the mediation.