Divorced from a US citizen before USCIS decision, re married to a different one,can I apply one more time to adjust my status

Asked 7 months ago - Chicago, IL

Was married before to a USC but didn't stick ,lots of fighting and then we decided to get divorced,I filled that time to adjust my status but we didn't get any decision from USCIS,it was just waiting for more that 16 months with no decision,and I keep on checking my status online and it still the same from 3 years now . a few months ago i got married again to another USC, now do i have the right to file again to adjust my status ? is it gonna be hard to get approved ? I had and now have a legit marriage,but my ex was a little older . I don't know anything about my first case,and we didn't have kids

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

18

Answered . You will need to demonstrate that both your marriages were bona fide.

2. Husna F. Alikhan

9

Answered . Its unusual that you did not receive a decision after such a lengthy wait. More facts are needed such as whether your entry to the United States was with inspection / with a visa? If so, it appears that you may refile for adjustment based on your current marriage. However, it would be prudent to enlist the services of an immigration attorney, who would help you secure your FOIA records [entire immigration file] before you proceed with your adjustment of status.

3. F. J. Capriotti III

8

Answered . Let's start by applying a little common sense:

-- you appear to have had an interview with CIS and your first spouse ... which wasn't approved quickly ... this is usually a sign of suspicion on their part as to the bona fides of the relationship

-- you are now proposing filing a NEW application with a NEW spouse .... all within a SHORT 3 year period of time

Ask yourself ... would you approve the second marriage when you were suspicious about the first one?

Hire a lawyer
    Hire a lawyer
    Hire a lawyer

4. Irene Vaisman

6

Answered . Short answer is - you can apply the second time around. But the second case will always reference the first one, files will need to be consolidated and you would have to show the validity of both marriages. You should work with an experienced attorney and I would start by obtaining your entire record before anything is filed at all.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.
  5. Stephen D. Berman

2

Answered . It depends on how you entered the U.S., for example if you came as a fiancé, this will not work.