DIVORCED AFTER GREENCARD

Asked about 2 years ago - Rockville, MD

My husband and i are married for almost a year.He filed for my greencard and was approved about 4months ago.my husband is in the military and was cheating on me with one of his coworkers daughter and i had no idea until the lady's dad reported my husband to his boss and then i was notified.I had 2weeks break from him to live with a cousin when the incident happened.
When i came back he said ,he wants a divorce.Ireally love him and do not want loose him and have forgiving him.
My questions are ;1-what should i do now in preparation when is time for me to file I-751.
2-what doccuments do i need to proove that the marriage was entered in good faith.
3-can the divorce prevent me from being approved for the 10years?please really needs advice.

1. Stuart Jonas Reich

Pro

2

1

Best Answer

Answered . First, I'm sorry to hear you are going through such a difficult personal situation - I can only imagine how painful this must be.

You really need to consult an immigration lawyer directly about these issues. A big question will be whether you will be able to salvage the marriage, as well as timing of it all. To file alone with request to waive the joint filing requirement (assuming no abuse), a divorce needs to be final - so timing of everything is important. The divorce - if you can't salvage the relationship = is actually necessary.

How you prove a bona fide marriage depends on the situation, and what you have as proof.

Speak with a lawyer now to see where you stand, make plans, and know what timeframes are important.

2. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . You will need to apply for a waiver of the joint filing after your divorce is final.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

3. Reza Athari

1

Answered . Hire an attorney. Not easy situation

Reza Athari
    Attorney at Law
    Certified Specialist - Immigration and Nationality Law
    State Bar of California - Board of Legal Specialization
    http://members.calbar.ca.gov/search/member_deta...

Main office: Las Vegas, Nevada
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

3365 Pepper Lane, Suite 102
    Las Vegas, NV 89120
    Telephone: (702) 727-7777
    Fax: (702) 458-8508
    Toll free: (800) 565-2030
    http://www.atharilaw.com/index-6.html

Barstow, California
    Reza Athari & Associates, Pllc

309 East Mountain View Street, Suite 104
    Barstow, CA 92311
    Telephone: (760) 957-7220
    Fax: (760) 957-7396

St. George, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

1036 East Red Hills Parkway, Suite D
    St. George, UT 84770
    Telephone: (435) 656-1136
    Fax: (435) 656-1145
    http://www.stgimmigrationattorneys.com/

Salt Lake City, Utah
    Reza Athari & Lui, Pllc

525 W 5300 S Suite 150
    Murray, UT 84123
    Telephone: (801) 262-LAW7
    Fax: (801) 281-9603
    http://www.slcimmigrationattorneys.com/
    If you have a SKYPE account, we may now video-conference or conduct a conference call on the computer from and to anywhere in the world for free. More information may be found at www.skype.com

4. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

1

Answered . You should not stay in the marriage only for immigration reasons. It is wise to consult with an attorney before making the judgment about what to do about removing your conditions on the green card.

Dhenu Savla
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com
    Free Phone Consultations Available