Divorced 2006 Two vehicles were to be refinanced and retagged in sole name of driver of vehicle. Ex husband has never done this

Asked over 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Ex husband is in contempt of divorce 2006. Amendment added that the vehicle one is in possession of must refinance and re register vehicle. I did with my car. Ex husband never did this from 2006. My credit is ruined and repo is in the treat stage. Do I have the right to take the car from his residence. He refuses to pay on time since 2006

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . Generally, there is language in the divorce documents regarding this exact situation. An attorney would have to review your divorce documents to determine what your rights are and if you can just take the car from him, which is likely not the case and I do not recommend doing so without speaking to an attorney first.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and... more
  2. Reuben Alexander Doupe

    Contributor Level 5

    Answered . You should not take the vehicle from his possession, unless you meet with an attorney to discuss this issue. If you do so, your ex-husband may report the car stolen, and that won't help anyone. You should see an attorney to review your possible remedies, which MAY include (but meet with an attorney to verify you can get) damages for injury to your credit, indemnification, and possibly contempt and attorney's fees.

    My answer is based upon the limitations you have given in your question, and may not be complete as there are... more

Related Topics

Property repossession

Property repossession can happen if you are behind in your payments. Creditors are not required to send notice before they repossess your property or vehicle.

Robert Franklin Dean

Vehicle Repossessions in Maryland

Car dealers and other merchants dealing in very valuable goods who allow customers to finance their purchases usually keep a security interest in the goods they sell. If the purchaser... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,364 answers this week

2,226 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,364 answers this week

2,226 attorneys answering