Divorced 2006 Two vehicles were to be refinanced and retagged in sole name of driver of vehicle. Ex husband has never done this

Asked over 2 years ago - West Palm Beach, FL

Ex husband is in contempt of divorce 2006. Amendment added that the vehicle one is in possession of must refinance and re register vehicle. I did with my car. Ex husband never did this from 2006. My credit is ruined and repo is in the treat stage. Do I have the right to take the car from his residence. He refuses to pay on time since 2006

1. Ophelia Genarina Bernal-Mora

Pro

Answered . Generally, there is language in the divorce documents regarding this exact situation. An attorney would have to review your divorce documents to determine what your rights are and if you can just take the car from him, which is likely not the case and I do not recommend doing so without speaking to an attorney first.

2. Reuben Alexander Doupe

Answered . You should not take the vehicle from his possession, unless you meet with an attorney to discuss this issue. If you do so, your ex-husband may report the car stolen, and that won't help anyone. You should see an attorney to review your possible remedies, which MAY include (but meet with an attorney to verify you can get) damages for injury to your credit, indemnification, and possibly contempt and attorney's fees.